Prologue -- Welcome!


Hello there.

I love TV.  Like a lot. I still cherish my lazy days of being a couch potato and binging the latest series that just dropped, or revisiting an old favorite.

I love to get lost in these make believe worlds and pretend for a hot minute that these characters are my friends. I had my sleepless nights in high school to wait all week to see if Dr. Meredith Grey would survive her latest near death experience. I'd stay up past my bedtime in middle school so I could watch what zany problems Jack Tripper would get into this episode -- but mostly to watch how he'd fall down. I wanted to be these characters and live in these worlds.

But the difference from my childhood to now is that I am turning it into a career (if all goes right). Which means my lazy days of binging shows have paid off. Now when I binge a show, I get to tell myself it's 'work'. In grad school for TV writing, it never got old hearing my professors assigning us TV shows to watch as our homework! Those were definitely the moments I knew I was in the right place!  

But more than that, now instead of just watching other writers worlds and characters, I get to create my own now! I hope one day to have my own Dr. Meredith Grey that will make viewers lose sleep over, or my own Jack Tripper or Liz Lemon that gets in zany situations. 

And now when I watch or binge a show, I don't just casually watch it anymore, but I study the format and the structure and try to break down what makes a show work, or not.

Who knew being a couch potato as a kid would actually pay off and later turn into a career?! (Well, let's hope it will.)

So that's why I wanted to create a blog to interview my favorite TV writers to get to know the person behind the credit on TV.

Also I owe a huge thank you to Adam Szymkowicz who created the super popular "Adam Interviews Playwrights" (aszym.blogspot.com) and he graciously let me borrow his format and questions for my project. 

Well now that this PSA is over, we will return to our regularly scheduled programming ...

Thanks for stopping by!

Happy binging,

Darci Faye    

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 15: Cole Quirk

Episode 12: Jackie Penn

Episode 1 - Dana Kitchens