Episode 1 - Dana Kitchens




Hometown: Pasadena, CA
Current Town: Hollywood, baby
What are you working on now?: Developing a pilot about an all-women's social club.
Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person:
When my father took me to New York for the first time as a kid, I was totally enamored of the people and lights and skyscrapers and parks. I asked him why it felt so wonderful to be in New York, what made it so electric and beloved, and he answered right away, "Money." That's a joke... uh... as a former psych major and a hater of movie flashbacks, I don't believe personality is defined by any single experience.

If you could change one thing about television, what would it be?: I could never settle for one thing.
Who are or were your television heroes?: Dr. House, Claire Fisher, Joan Holloway, Rick Sanchez, Villanelle... I already did therapy.
What kind of television excites you?: I still remember the year that the Mr Robot and Crazy Ex-Girlfriend pilots came out. They were so completely different and they both gave me the energy to keep writing. I guess it's the joy of watching a writer who has a deep understanding of their story and total control of the narrative, and you're just along for the ride.
What advice do you have for TV writers just starting out?: Focus on the craft over representation. Representation will come.
Any plugs?: A Teacher (FX / Hulu)



DANA KITCHENS is a screenwriter and adjunct professor at NYU Tisch. She started in "the mailroom" and is best known for her work on A TEACHER.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 15: Cole Quirk

Episode 12: Jackie Penn