Episode 12: Jackie Penn






Home Town: Youngstown, Ohio

Current Town: Los Angeles, California

What are you working on now?: I just wrapped season 1 of the 4400 on the CW. I'm working on a second draft of a YA feature I wrote a few months ago and I'm also in the beginning stages of a historical drama pilot. 

Tell me, if you will, a story from your childhood that explains who you are as a writer or as a person: Storytelling has always been important to me. I used to get so engrossed in books growing up that I would take them with me everywhere -- even on a five minute drive to the grocery store. My mom sometimes got annoyed with me, because all I did was read. If I wasn't reading books, I was watching TV. That love for storytelling continued to grow and eventually I decided to pursue a career as a TV writer. 

If you could change one thing about television, what would it be?: As a Black writer, I'm interested in more accurate representations of marginalized groups. I want television to reflect the world we actually live in. I also want to see fresh stories for marginalized groups that don't center around stereotypes or tropes. It's something I'm passionate about and focus on in my own work. 

Who are or were your television heroes?: Jennie Synder Urman who created Jane The Virgin. That show encompasses everything I want to inject into my own writing. It was brilliant on so many levels. Jason Katims because of everything he's written. He writes with so much heart and has crafted characters that you can't help but root for. Sarah Watson who created The Bold Type. It was the show about female friendship and feminism that I've always wanted. I've also been inspired by Amy Sherman Palladino especially for The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel. I love how she balances witty, fast-paced dialogue, humor with relatable characters and stories. 

What kind of television excites you?: I'm a very character-driven TV watcher, so I love characters that I can root for and be invested in. I'm also a sucker for period dramas and I love a good slow-burn romance. I tend to be drawn to female-driven stories that deal with complicated families and female friendship. 

What advice do you have for TV writers just starting out?:
  First, make sure you're watching TV. I say that for a couple of reasons: 1) It will help you hone your craft as a writer and also find your voice 2) When you take staffing meetings or generals, people want you to be able to "pitch yourself" as a writer. I often reference TV shows that are similar to my voice and the topics/themes I typically write about 3) In all of the rooms I've been in, we always talk about the shows that we're watching. Sometimes it helps inform the stories we craft. Also, join a writers group. It will help you practice giving and receiving notes, which is essential to learn because it’s a huge part of the job. And lastly, meet people at your level. It’s of course great to meet higher level writers, but I think it’s more important to connect with writers in the same boat as you. It will give you a sense of community and support. When meeting people, think of it as building relationships and not as transactional. Also remember that while the business appears to be big, once you're in it you realize that everyone knows everyone -- always keep that in mind.

Any Plugs?: I would love to work on a historical drama at some point in my career. I'm manifesting that for myself :). As far as plugs go, check out the 4400 Mondays at 9/8c on The CW. The episodes stream for free the next day on the CW app. 

Born and raised in the Midwest, Jackie graduated from The Ohio State University and attended the University of Cincinnati for graduate school. After several years as a Spanish teacher, Jackie left teaching to pursue a career as a TV writer. Now an LA based 1hr dramedy/drama writer, Jackie’s writing focuses primarily on female-driven stories that explore complicated family dynamics, female friendship and the idea of being a fish out of water. Her Blackish TV spec “Downsizing” was a semifinalist for The Breakk Screenwriting Competition. Jackie has worked as a set production assistant, a line producer’s assistant and writers’ production assistant. She was a writers’ assistant on Netflix's Ginny & Georgia and was a staff writer on Disney +’s  upcoming show Turner & Hooch. She is currently a story editor for 4400 on the CW. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Episode 15: Cole Quirk

Episode 1 - Dana Kitchens